More countries cutting booster intervals to 3 months

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt announced the change Friday, citing advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI). Starting January 4, Australians will become eligible for their booster four months after receiving their second jab. As of January 31, that interval will be cut to just three months.

“Currently that means that we will go from about 3.2 million people who are eligible today to approximately 7.5 million who will be eligible as of 4 January,” Hunt said, adding that 16 million Australians will be eligible for boosters on January 31.

ATAGI had recently advised taking boosters after only five months, as opposed to six as established previously, but has updated the guidance based on international evidence, said Hunt. The new dates have been set “out of an abundance of caution,” to deal with the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of the virus.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt announced the change Friday, citing advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI). Starting January 4, Australians will become eligible for their booster four months after receiving their second jab. As of January 31, that interval will be cut to just three months.

“Currently that means that we will go from about 3.2 million people who are eligible today to approximately 7.5 million who will be eligible as of 4 January,” Hunt said, adding that 16 million Australians will be eligible for boosters on January 31.

ATAGI had recently advised taking boosters after only five months, as opposed to six as established previously, but has updated the guidance based on international evidence, said Hunt. The new dates have been set “out of an abundance of caution,” to deal with the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of the virus.

Via https://www.rt.com/news/544262-australia-germany-booster-schedule/